604.883.9201 | PO Box 8 Madeira Park BC VON 2HO
Swiss researchers have discovered how chameleons accomplish their vivid colour changes: they rearrange the crystals inside specialised skin cells.
- The study was conducted on panther chameleons, which are popular pets
Swiss researchers have discovered how chameleons accomplish their vivid colour changes: they rearrange… https://www.lagoonsociety.com/blog/global-biodiversity-stories/2015/03/chameleon-colours-switched-crystals/
It has taken taxonomic experts eight years to pull together all existing databases and compile one super-definitive list, known as the World Register of Marine Species (WoRMS).
- Stargazer: The new mysid shrimp appears as though it is always looking up
A mammoth effort to catalogue all known ocean life is nearly complete.
It has taken taxonomic… https://www.lagoonsociety.com/blog/global-biodiversity-stories/2015/03/worms-catalogue-downsizes-ocean-life/
Planting farmland with strips of flowers can boost the number of wild bumblebees, a study has confirmed. Not only does it attract foraging bees, but it also encourages nesting, say researchers at University of Sussex.
- Bumblebee feeding on a cornflower
Planting farmland with strips of flowers can boost the number of wild bumblebees, a study has confirmed.
Not only does it attract… https://www.lagoonsociety.com/blog/global-biodiversity-stories/2015/03/flower-friendly-farms-boost-bee-populations/
Lynx are to be reintroduced into the wild in Britain after a 1,300-year absence, under an ambitious “rewilding” plan drawn up by a conservation charity.
- Lynx are to be reintroduced into the wild in Britain after a 1,300 year absence, under an ambitious ‘rewilding’ plan drawn up by a conservation charity. The predators eat deer,… https://www.lagoonsociety.com/blog/global-biodiversity-stories/2015/03/lynx-be-reintroduced-wild-britain-after-1300-year-absence/
Scientists who analyzed countless chemicals in spider venom say they have identified seven compounds that block a key step in the body’s ability to pass pain signals to the brain.
- B.C. has 781 known spider species, but Claudia Copley of the Royal BC Museum said the survey will likely push that to 1,000 over the next few years. (Royal BC Museum)… https://www.lagoonsociety.com/blog/global-biodiversity-stories/2015/03/spider-venom-may-hold-chemical-keys-new-painkillers/